Tuesday, November 30, 2010

What is "Normal" really?


I was watching day time TV the other day which is really odd for me to do because I don't really have the time usually but this week I did for some reason. I was flipping channels and came across this one preview about on of Oprah's new show that she was doing What is Normal? She was going to discuss it with her audience, viewers and with her 2 favourite doctors that she helped along with their own TV careers: Dr Phil and Dr Oz. I can say that I am not a big fan of Oprah, Dr Phil or Dr Oz.Everyone has to be on the Oprah bandwagon (for example: I read an author way before Oprah discovered this person and once she 'discovered' him everyone had to read him. A few of my friends went oh this author is so good.. I am so glad Oprah found him. I went his been writing for years..good to know that you are on the bandwagon like everyone else.)
Oprah has a 'test' to on her website to see you are normal on her website: http://www.oprah.com/showinfo/Are-You-Normal-Take-the-Test_1 (I'll leave you a min or two to check out the website)

I find it a little odd that you can find out if you are 'Normal' by taking a test on Oprah's website. What happens if you answer a question differently is it going to say that you aren't normal at all?

The dictionary defines Normal as: 1. Conforming to the standard or the common type; usual; not abnormal; regular; natural. 2. serving to establish a standard 3. Psychology. a. approximately average in any psychological trait, as intelligence, personality, or emotional adjustment. b.free from any mental disorder; sane.

Normal is often perceived by society and social norms. But even that is flawed because it is influenced by how we are raised in groups we associate with. And with our own personal belief structures that we grew up with.

My one Professor asked as once to define for ourselves what we thought was normal but we couldn't because it was all different. Our definitions was all different and was influenced on how we grew up in society and the group we associated with as a group.

My friend said this as to the question "What is Normal":

It is a question that can be casually dismissed, or treated with philosophical rigor. The answer can be assumed self-evident, or open to an exhaustive debate. In truth, there are as many responses as there are people. Culture, race, gender, religious belief, age, status, genetics, income, education, and experience all have a say in what we perceive as normal. Where we find consensus, we find community.

I can say that there is no such thing is normal at all. We are all different in our own ways and that is what makes as special and human. What is so bad about being different?



No comments:

Post a Comment