Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Lest We Forget...

Lest We Forget -is used as a caution against forgetting those who died in war.

Yet, the other day when I was on the train I was looking around wondering where everyone's poppies where. Why do they not wear them? Is it because they forgot what happened? Do they not care that brave men and women gave their life so they can sit on the train day after day and talk on their cells and listen to their iPods? A friend commented on his FB status the other day " So I took a walk downtown today and saw about 1 out of every 5 people had on a poppy, the Poppy fund is 1.5 Million short of its goal this year and I think we could all spare one coffee to purchase a poppy to help out our veterans"

l, every year make sure I take the time and buy a poppy (it is usually several-because I have a habit of losing them) and wear it because I am proud of what my country did.

I shall always remember walking down the street in Holland a few summers ago wearing a backpack with a Canada Flag on it and having a old woman and her husband coming up to me and saying "Thank you for saving us". I said "l'm sorry, it was not me that saved you but my Grandfather". She was still aboustlely grateful for what Canada did for her. I shall always remember that.

So, take the time and buy a poppy. Take the time and remember those that died for us. There is lots of places for Remembrance Day services.

No comments:

Post a Comment