Thursday, November 4, 2010

Bah! Humbug! To Christmas Lights and Big Red Glass Balls


Bah-Humbug! That's right I said it and I mean it. Why must we be brainwashed (for a lack of a better word) of everything Christmas at the end of October before we even celebrate Halloween? I mean why can't we wait until after Halloween or Remembrance Day before putting up the Christmas decor and the music? Or have we become a total I want/need society that is told what to buy and when to buy by the shopping malls and the Walmarts of the world?
Don't get me wrong, I love Christmas (the true meaning of Christmas) not as my friend Lana calls it "Hallmark Holiday" because that is what it
has turned into. You have to buy this and that and make sure the house looks good for everyone, rush rush rush etc. Do we as a society, know what Christmas really is about anymore? Or did we all forget in the new shiny toys, electric gadgets and that new car?

A few days ago Breakfast Television Calgary asked when are people going to start decorating for Christmas. I had said that the Calgary Stampede should be decorating for Christmas in a few w
eeks just in time for Christmas Party season. The every next day as I was walking into work I had noticed that the Stampede Park Maintaince staff had starting decorating for Christmas already by putting up this:
We also had some flowers done up in the Christmas theme for the one conference that we had at Stampede Park last week. Why Christmas? Its 40 some days away. That is still plently of time for people to go out and get the 'prefect gift' for everyone on there wish lists.
On Thursday, as I was sitting down to lunch in the Rotary House at Stampede Park we had a knock on the door: It was more Park maintaince staff bringing boxes upon boxes of decor to get ready for a party that we have on Saturday at the park. You would think that one would wait until the later part of the month to decorate for Christmas and to have a Christmas party but no.

I can't wait until Christmas is done and over with. I wish I could be like the Grinch and hole up somewhere for the next little while.



No comments:

Post a Comment